I Got Crafty - A DIY

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Hello, hello!  How is everyone doing?

So, I got a little crafty this weekend, it's been a while, but it sure was fun!

This craftiness was brought on after seeing pics of Rhiannon's amazingly gorgeous kitchen.  If you haven't seen the pics and read all about it, then head over to her blog or to Style Me Pretty, where her kitchen was recently featured (yay, Rhi!) to get your read on.

So yes, after reading this feature, I immediately fell in love with the rug in the kitchen.  Seriously smitten.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about it and then yesterday I got the idea to attempt making my own.  I headed down to the basement and rummaged through my stash of scrap fabric.  One thing about my fabric stash is that I only ever purchased fabrics that I absolutely loved.  So they are all my favourites.  I originally though of using patterned fabrics, but ended up using several different solid coloured fabrics, which I used to use to line my clutches with.

I literally just went with it, didn't really do much planning.  I decided to make rows of colour and then got to cutting the fabrics.  Of note, this used a lot of fabric, like a lot....and my fingers, they are killing me, but I think it was well worth it.

Here's are a few snapshots of the rug from beginning to end.

started it off with one of my favourite colours

adding pops of colour

half done

and the finished product:

tada!

I haven't decided where I'm going to put it but it will either be at the back door (off of the kitchen eating area, seen in picture where it's 1/2 done) or by the sink.  It's currently by the sink and I have to say, I'm loving it there.


It adds a fun splash of colour & a touch of girliness (which is much needed since I'm the only girl in this house!).

Since all of the colours in the rug are my favourites, I find that it's a perfect reflection of me....just makes me smile!  Perhaps I should have toned it down a bit and used more subtle colours...hmmm.

Cheers,
 

1 comment:

  1. This really is a lovely rug idea. I must put that on the list of project for Winter, good job!
    Jx
    http://www.lifelovesand.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas